Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Busy September!

And once again, I can't believe I haven't posted since August! We have been extremely busy with end of summer activities, kindergarten starting, and many other activities. In August, we went to the Lake County Fair, which Z just loved! He loves riding the horses and the fair rides. Z also began kindergarten at the end of August. I think I was much more emotional about the whole thing than he was. There was an orientation day in which we rode the bus to the school with the kids....I broke down crying before we even left the house. It was even worse on his actual first day!! He loves school, though, and seems to be doing well. He doesn't fight us on going to school, so I guess that is a positive first step.

As for me, I received a promotion to Accounting Manager for my company. It came with a nice pay raise and managerial responsibilities. I am glad that I have been given the opportunity to grow within the company. I will be exciting and challenging learning the new position.

And, saving the best for last, on September 10, at 8:08 pm, Andrew James decided to make an early entrance into the world. His due date was October 27, so he was about 7 weeks early. About 3 that afternoon, while at work, I started have some cramps. On the way home from work, I realized the cramps were about 3-5 minutes apart. I got home and tried to relax which didn't help. I called the dr and they recommended I go to L&D just to be on the safe side. The contractions (at this point, I realized that what they really were) were about 2-3 minutes apart and extremely painful by the time I got to the hospital. They finally got me in to a triage room, and it then took another 15 minutes for any one to come in. By this point, I was in tears b/c i am in so much pain. They check me and I am dialated about 4 and 90% effaced. They were going to try to get me some meds to stop the contractions but as we were discussing those my water completely broke. They were then going to try to get me on bed rest and try to hold off delivering for a few days, but I was then dilated 5-6. As we were discussing labor options (and I was still screaming for pain meds!), they couldn't find the baby's heart beat and decided I needed to go in for an emergency c/s right then. They would not even let my husband join me. Since I had not had an epi yet, they gave me general anethesia so I was completely knocked out during the entire procedure. When I came to, still in the OR, I asked what time it was. At this point, it was 11 pm and I had been in the OR for 3 hours. I knew something wasn't right. Well, come to find out that some tube that runs from the kidney to the bladder got "kinked" since they performed such a rush c/s. Therefore, they had to call a urologist in and he put in some stent that has to stay in for 3 weeks. I finally got to see my little boy at around 3am, when they were wheeling me from recovery to my room. He is doing awesome! He is breathing on his own and has been on only bottle feeds for the last few days. He was born at 8:05 pm on 9/10/08, 3 lb 15 oz, 17 inches. Just to give you a clue on how fast this went down, it was about 3 pm at work when I was cramping, husband and I got to the hospital around 7 pm, and he was born shortly after 8 pm. I am being released from the hospital today, but A will be staying a little longer in the NICU. I am hoping he will be able to come home within the next couple of weeks. I guess this gives me time to get adapted to my "stay at home mom" gig (that only lasts 8 weeks!!!) and give some one on one attention to Z before his brother comes home. I am very upset that I will be leaving today without my baby, but I know he is better off being watched around the clock by trained professionals. We will be at the hospital often, visiting and feeding little A. I am hoping that he continues the positive path he is following and comes home really soon! Here are some pictures of the little guy:





1 comment:

Jen said...

He is beautiful! Not as small as I had expected. Sorry he can't come home with you, but he will soon, but I know you would rather him get stronger first. He will be home keeping you up before long. Congrats again.